Elevator alarm

The Choteau Volunteer Fire Department responded to smoke spotted coming out of a window in the main Columbia Grain Elevator in Choteau near noon on Oct. 29. Choteau Fire Chief Matt Passmore reported the firemen inspected of all the bins, the distributor and floors and found no fire. Using a thermal sensor, the firemen did find a hot spot at the top of the grain elevator leg. The department took a water fire extinguisher to the area but it had already cooled down. Indications are a belt moved out of alignment causing the motor and gearbox to over heat. Once the belt is fixed, the fire department will return to inspect the area. The incident caused no damage anywhere to the facility. The Choteau ambulance also responded and transported a fireman to Benefis Teton Medical Center for a mishap at the site. The Fairfield RVFD was also paged for backup.